Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bernie Dexter Country Cottage Dress


First of all, big thanks to Em from Miskonduct Clothing for ordering this in for me! 

This patterned dress has been a trying time for me! Bernie first released this print with the sleeveless with circles back style, which I knew wouldn't flatter my shape but I bought anyway. It is now sitting in my 'to sell' pile.

Then this short sleeve 'Janis' style was released and I groaned inwardly, knowing I would have to get this one as well, and because the style would look so much better on me.

The style is much better *BUT* it is still 'not quite right'. The neck is so wide the shoulders fall off, and having to hitch them back up again every minute is very annoying. It doesn't look like it is meant to be on off the shoulder style, nor does Bernie say so in the dress description, so I am guessing it's just a wide necked style and depending on how wide your shoulders are, it's either fine or annoying.


At the moment I have the shoulders of the dress pinned to my bra straps! It makes it a little too low in the bust area for me, something higher would have suited my more modest inclinations.

All said and done, I LOVE this fabric and the boob cleavage, bra straps and shoulders falling down every other minute won't stop me from wearing this gorgeous dress.  I get loads of comments from it and HEAPS of stares....so it's an ego boosting outfit!

I would love to hear if anybody else has purchased this dress and how it fits.


I am in love with this 1940's copper cuff with Aztec carved stone. I bought it recently as a present to myself :)


Doing the catwalk with Miss 4.

 
Bernie Dexter Dress VIA Miskonduct Clothing
'Tropicana' Shoes: Miss L Fire
40's Copper Cuff: eBay
50's Lucite Confetti Earrings: eBay
70's Leather Belt: Thrifted
 
Miss 4 wears Best N Less

17 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous and Miss 4 is just too cute! That cuff is simply divine and compliments the outfit well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cuff suits a lot of my outfits and it was a worthwhile purchase. I am gravitating towards more earthy inspired jewellery lately and this fit the bill nicely!

      Delete
  2. You and Miss 4 both look so wonderfully cute! I'm so that this dress doesn't fit quite how you wanted it to either. Gosh, that's frustrating, isn't it? I think it looks marvelous on you (I rather like the wide neckline), but if you don't completely love it, I know (firsthand) that nothing anyone else is going to say will change that.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating, but that is unfortunately the perils of buying online. It is wearable but I am constantly pulling it back up onto my shoulders.

      Delete
  3. You look FAB ! (despite any misgivings you may have) and so does Miss 4. God I love your shoes aswell. Can I just borrow all of your wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You too are too cute! I can't decide what I like more, the dress, the shoes, the cuff or you cool hair do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura Lee! How nice to be called cute again...I thought that was years past!

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, I was all set to complement you on that amazing dress, which looks super fab even if it feels awkward on, but then I saw that bracelet! Gaaahhhhhhh! So frikin' gorgeous!! It's so fabulous...it looks like it might give you magical powers, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is a dream! I love it and the Bernie Dexter dresses. You are very pretty and the sweet girl too! Kisssssss from Madrid! A pink girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh look at you two, Miss 4 has her blogger poses sorted!

    That dress is so beautiful! I'd been eyeing the sleeveless version of this print but was uncertain about the fit and style, I think this version of the dress is lovely on you! I can only imagine you would have caused a stir going out in it, happens every time I wear a Bernie dress :P

    Have you got anyone that knows anything about sewing to take it in for you? I usually get my mother in law to do alterations, but I know that places that do them charge $30 or so for taking in the shoulders. Expensive, but if it means you will get a lot of wear out of the dress then it might be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a sew job might be an option after a couple more wears. I paid $160 for it before postage so it was expensive to start off with without spending more on it......silly reasoning I know!
      The sleeveless version would suit your figure, it looks fine on me apart from the neckline which chokes me a little.

      Delete
  8. Your figure looks absolutely perfect in that dress!! You've definitely got the waist for it! I've got some open necklines, too, but many of those have a tiny thread and stud -thingy inside, just where my bra strap is. I don't know how to explain it, but it's super simple, really genious, secure, and easy to add. They explain it better here: http://sewing.about.com/od/adultclothingprojects/a/brastraphlder.htm
    Or then you could do what I do with some dresses: use double sided tape between the dress and the bra strap. There are tape brands/packages which are especially meant for this. I buy them where I buy my underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, thanks you for reminding me about those! A few of my vintage dresses have those on the shoulders. I'll have to source a pair. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to tweak (alter) all my Bernie dresses and it's just the price I pay to make them absolutely perfect for me. I spent $80 on alterations for the Graceful Greenery dress and it fits like a glove now. Wouldn't have enjoyed wearing it otherwise.
    So my recommendation is, if you LOVE something, spend a little more and make it perfect.

    The dress looks beautiful on you and all the little annoyances can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks lovely on you!! I'm eyeing off the same dress but I'm unsure of the size so did you take your usual Bernie size or did you size up/down? I've sized down on the Chelsea but took a med in the Sugar Doll, Paris dresses so I don't know how this runs. The downside of ordering online lol. Anyway, thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read each and every one, even if I am slow to respond sometimes!